I know that children tend to get nightmares more often than adults do, but many adults still get nightmares occasionally.
Here are some ideas you can use to comfort yourself when you wake up from a nightmare because no matter what age you are nightmares are quite disturbing and distressing.
1. If you have a cat or dog, pet him or her. He or she can be very grounding.
2. If you need to talk about your nightmare and have a partner or spouse who is supportive, you may want to wake him or her up to discuss your nightmare. Alternatively, you can write down the details of your dream to get them out of your head.
3. Get up and have a drink of water.
4. Read something soothing, such as the Bible if you are a Christian.
5. Concentrate on your surroundings in order to remind yourself where you are.